Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sweet memories

The storm tonight woke Raleigh up. Every time she would close her eyes it would thunder.  So, there I stood, over her crib so she would be assured that everything was okay.  As I stood there I started humming a little ol' hymn that my grandmother used to sing to me.

'Til the storm passes over, 'til the thunder sounds no more, ' til the clouds roll forever from the sky.  Keep me safe let me stand, in the hollow of thy hand. Keep me safe 'til the storm goes by."  

When I was a child afraid of a storm I would sing that song until the storm was over.  That simple song would bring me such peace, even as a child.  I can't help but be so thankful for the influence of my loving grandparents.  They were a safe place for me and they instilled the love of God in me that I never even understood until I was an adult.  Every night as I rock Raleigh to sleep I sing hymns and every time I think of my grandmother.  She's never wavered in her love for The Lord even after losing her life-long companion.  What an example and a joy she is. She has taught me to stand firm in what I believe and no matter how boisterous the storm may be, we have a peace speaker and we must keep going in faith, full force! 

Sweet, sweet memories. 

1 comment: