Friday, May 9, 2014

An encouraging word to mothers

"We are God's masterpiece.  He has created us new in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10

I thought of this verse this morning as I was thinking about all the moms out there.  I could really just stop here and this verse would be encouraging enough but I'll go on and share what's in my heart.  Truth is, if you are a mother, you need all the encouragement you can get.  We don't get it from our children usually, especially if they are babies or toddlers and don't even know what the word encouragement even means yet. 

In the short time that I have been a mom I have already experienced discouragement and even failure in the area of raising my daughter.  I know I am hard on myself and I compare myself to many wonderful moms I know out there, so it is my fault for ever getting discouraged in this department.  I've come to realize that I will make mistakes when it comes to parenting and being a wife but it's not the mistakes that we should be focusing on, it is how we handle the mistakes.  We pick ourselves up, swallow our pride and apologize.  Then, we walk in faith that we are being perfected by the Perfect one.  We walk in grace, knowing that we are forgiven.  We are God's masterpiece.  A long, long time ago he had you picked out to be the mother of your child/children and he knew what he was doing.

No matter if you are a new mom or if all your children are grown, just remember that you are God's masterpiece!  Don't focus on what you did in the past, the way your friends parent, the way the media tells you your kids should be, focus on the here and the now.  Cherish your children, cherish the fact that you were chosen to carry this great honor of raising the future.  What seems like a thankless job at times really is an investment into something so great. 

I am honored to know so many wonderful mother's, including mine.  Thank you Marmi for always being there and loving me even when I was difficult.  Thank you to my grandma who raised four children and even had a hand at raising me and even leading me to the Lord.  Thank you to my mother-in-law who raised an amazing son who loves his family deep, you did good. Thank you to my friend Carey, who I look up to as a super-mom.  You are a great example of a mom with so much grace and fun to boot!

Lastly, thank you to my sweet daughter.  Your love of life and compassionate heart has changed me in so many ways.  I never knew a love quite like this before you came along. 

1 comment: