Sunday, June 23, 2013

Wonderful peace

"You know the way to our hearts and the more we see the more we love you."  These words rang so true to my heart when we sang them at church this morning. I couldn't help but smile because I was reminded of Friday morning.  I've been in reno-mode the past few weeks and I just can't stop myself. Once I get an idea in my head it's hard for me to wait to get it accomplished. Anyone else? So, here are a few things we've been working on: painting the outside of the house, re-painting the living room, chevron stripes on the back porch, and re-doing the front porch where all the paint is chipping off. Old house say what?! Not to mention, my baby is turning one this week and I've been getting things ready for her party and her first year video. You could easily say that my focus has been off of everything else. Thankfully I realized that on Friday. To say that I have been overwhelmed is a bit of an understatement. I know I did it to myself. I know I should have thought to ask our good God so much sooner for peace but it didn't hit me until Friday morning.
I was on my way to Walmart to get more painting supplies. My father-in-law showed up that morning ready to paint the exterior. I wasn't prepared for that but I was so excited to get it done that I didn't care. I was feeling so anxious and I really didn't have any reason other than my "need" to get everything finished before Raleigh's big party. Suddenly it hit me that I needed to pray. I turned on some worship and I asked God for peace. I boldly said "God, I am not getting out of my car until you give me peace." You may think that's pretty bold. I could have been sitting there all day but I knew that I just could not go on until I had peace. Peace that passes all understanding. Peace that washes over us in our most stressful moments. Peace that gives us rest. Wonderful peace.
I decided to open up my devotion app for the day and the scripture was Philippians 4:6-7 "don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. Then, you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."
When I read that I could not keep the tears from flowing and right there in the Walmart parking lot, I felt peace. I told God what I needed and because I asked, I received. Man, why didn't I do that before? I had been so focused on my "to do" list that I let the most important thing fall to the bottom of the list. So, as I sang those words this morning I knew how true they are. He knows the way to our hearts. I love him more today. The biggest lesson for me in this is to always let his peace guard my heart and mind. It's so easy to get overwhelmed with little things but those things do not matter when you think of the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment